Saturday 1 October 2011

CLASS 2 - REFLECTION

The Reading Analysis assignment was eye-opening.  We take for granted that we can just do all these steps automatically and not even think about it.  Going through the process of this assignment has allowed me to see where some students may "get stuck".  It was also validating to see the other presentations have the same steps, though presented in different ways.

The websites activity we did in class was awesome!  I just wish I had hours in my day to sit and search through them all.  Some of the websites I had a chance to glance at were amazing for elementary.  Since I am a middle school teacher, particularly grade 9, I kept searching for sites that were not "childish".  One website that I looked at was called "Tumble Books".  This site was exciting to me because it had interesting books for middle level students.  I find that many students in middle level have trouble reading and it is partly because they just don't read anymore.  Having books online for them to read, or get help to read, that are of interest to them and they won't feel "childish" for reading is great!

Other websites I found exciting were some math websites.  I teach math and English, which is a combination of subjects that the majority of students have issues with (English, math, or both).  It is great to find sites that can assist me with introducing a topics in a different way, or have games or activities for the students to do, etc.  I am always looking for different ways to teach that will change things up a little.  Some of these sites have videos that help explain a topic or give examples.  This would be great for the entire class, or if a student is home sick and missed some time, or if a student needs extra support.

I have tried to link many of the websites I came across while doing the activity and what others in the class found on my blog.