Saturday 24 September 2011

CLASS 1 - REFLECTION

What is Assistive Technology?

For me, this class is going to open many doors to the assistance I can give to my students. I am a person who is a little afraid of trying new technolgy out in my classroom. What if it doesn't work? However, after the first class of Assistive Technology, I am thinking what if I don't use it? The benefits of the technology far out weigh the troubles of figuring out a program or device.

Assistive technology is a process and it NOT IT (information technology). It should also be described as is a NEED, not a want. Access to technology that would help someone throughout school and their life is key to their successes in life. To think of the many children in my school, and schools around the world, that do not have access to the technology that would allow them to achieve goals higher than we every expected, is disappointing.

I enjoyed watching the videos of the students who are using assitive technology in some way, i.e. students who have autism, visual impairment, ADHD, blind, dysgraphia, gifted and LD, etc. The successes they achieved were AMAZING! The "gadgets" I was especially drawn to were the ones associated with ADHD: move'n'sit cushion, fridget toy, and pencil grip. Of course I am interested in all the technology that was shown; however, teaching so many students throughout the years with ADHD, I saw how those "gadgets" would give them the opportunity to concentrate and show their true potential.

I am very excited to learn more about the technology out there! I am looking forward to trying and learning how to use an iPod. I know that sounds unbelieveable, but I have never used one. I think I know what may be on my Santa list this Christmas :)

I am currently at a school that has smartboards in each classroom. This is a dream to the teacher who knows how to use them; however, when there is little to no training to go with this technology, it is hard to use it to its full potential. I found a video on YouTube that introduces classrooms that are using technology along the same lines as the smartboard. I wanted to post it because I wish I was able to take advantage of the technology in my classroom like the teachers in the video. Teachers NEED MORE TRAINING!!